FN x RM Underland
Robert Macfarlane x Field Notes
Robert Macfarlane, is a much awarded author, known for his books on landscape, science, place, and language. His latest, Underland, explores the subterranean world including a nuclear waste facility in Finland, ancient burial tombs under Somerset, England, the Paris catacombs, and a laboratory buried deep under the UK where scientists study sub-atomic particles and the origins of the universe. The Guardian called Underland, “one of the most ambitious works of narrative non-fiction of our age,” and it is now available in paperback.
Stanley Donwood is best known for creating the artwork and album covers for Radiohead since 1994. A prolific painter and designer, Donwood’s “Nether” is featured on the cover of Underland, and on our limited-edition 3-Pack. Macfarlane and Donwood also published “Ness,” a beautifully illustrated prose poem about a specific place and its (and our) history.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
02. Cover: Sappi McCoy 100#C “Fresh Snowy White,” with a thick, brute force, 4-color application of CMYK soy-based Toyo inks.
03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Sunshine Yellow” soy-based Toyo ink.
04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40″ 6-color printing press.
05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8″ (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
07. Ruled lines: 1/4″ (6.4mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2″ × 5-1/2″ (89mm × 140mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
11. UPC: 850032279109
3 books per pack | Ruled Paper | 3½” × 5½” | 48 pages each